Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Game: Mancala

Game: Mancala
4
The age range for this well-known traditional game is 6 years and up. Ian is just 4, and he is able to play a short version of this. The first time I gave it to him, he just played with the pebbles and the holes, but I told him we could play it later. The next time, we played a version of the game so we could just practice what it meant to pick up a pile and distribute them one in each hole down the line. The next time, he wanted to play for real. I was skeptical, but he did great. We actually made it through almost a whole game, so as he acquires a longer attention span, we'll be able to play more and more. I love games like this where young children can play, but it's also actually fun for adults, too. I can definitely see us playing this more as he gets older. But this is a lifelong game-I hope we'll still be playing it when he's a teenager and even into adulthood.

No comments: