Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Duck on a Bike

 Duck on a Bike by David Shannon
5
I normally don't care for books by this author. No, let's clarify, I don't care for his "xx David" books, so I've not read any others by him. Until this one--which I didn't realize was by him until after I read it, which is a good thing otherwise, I might not have found this wonderful book.

This is a silly book about a duck riding a bike past all the other animals around the barnyard saying hi to all the other animals. What I really like is that only the duck talks. When the other animals respond to duck's hello, all they say is their sound, but then the author writes "but what he really though was...." Duck also gets more and more daring on the bike which is cute.

The cute part is the end, after Duck says hello to the animals, a bunch of kids on bikes ride to the farmhouse, leave their bikes, and presumable go play with whatever child lives here. Now, all the animals get a turn to ride a bike. The last page with "The End" on it has duck looking at a tractor. I can't help but prompt Ian to speculate what would happen next. But I wonder if he would have figured it out on his own? Oh well.
Great book, though silly, cute.

No comments: